Care Enough To Pray
1 Thessalonians 5:17 KJV
“Pray without ceasing.”
Ephesians 6:18 KJV
“Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;”
One of the questions a new Christian asks concerning 1 Thessalonian 5:17 is, “But how do I pray continously? I have to stop sometimes.”
Such a question pops up because of their understanding that “without ceasing” means “without stopping”. Well, sure, why not? Literally praying without stopping is not entirely impossible, and we’ll leave it at that.
However, for the sake of clarity and encouragement for new believers who are burdened to pray, another Truth in explaining this verse is also available. I usually just explain to a dear new brother or sister in Christ, “We are to keep praying on all the needs that we have knowledge of.”
It goes without saying that the needs are many. Here are some, and these will fill your prayer-book. In no particular order, check this list. Pray for :
- To worship and praise God. Be thankful always.
- Your family and loved ones.
- Friends and acquaintances.
- Colleagues, strangers, neighbors, the mail-man, the garbage collectors, your doctor, your children’s teachers etc.
- The head of your country, government, the people.
- The system, economy, social peace and unity, religious freedom etc.
- The orphans, disabled, downtrodden, forgotten, defenseless, poor, voiceless.
- The unborn babies and the single mothers.
- Families and parents in general; for unity, peace and respect at the home life.
- The Church to stand strong, triumphant, praying, witnessing and gracious.
- The saints.
- Truth and Justice.
- Humanity and humanitarians; for charity and help.
- Against the works of evil, ie. murder, abortions (but I repeat myself, except certain people do not believe that abortion is murder), rebellion, lies, deceptions, hypocrisy, drugs, alcohol.
- Against doubly the evil works, ie. New Age teachings, antichrists, anti-Christians, paganism, Satanism, unbelief, etc.
- Against servants and sources of evil, to deplete, weaken and destroy them.
- Salvation of the lost souls.
And the list continues. The prayer points above and more are all mentioned in the Bible. If a Christian is to seek for points to pray for, all he or she has to do is read the Bible. Here are some examples:
Matthew 5:44 KJV
“But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;”
Matthew 9:38 KJV
“Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.”
Mark 13:33 KJV
“Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is.”
Luke 22:32 KJV
“But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.”
Romans 10:1 KJV
“Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.”
In praying, we have to care. We have to put our heart, soul and spirit into it. We have to be burdened to come before the Almighty One and say our piece before Him. He also cares. No prayer of a fervent, faithful believer is ever ignored by Him. Amen.
More Devotional and Inspirational here